Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What the 4th is about Part 1 of 2

Hey everybody,

This is not going to be some long drawn out dissertation on patriotism on the nations birthday and that's why it needs to be a two parter, but simply I wanted to get something out since it had been a while since my last post, and I'm waiting for the photos from the entire weekend that are on another SD card.

So, my weekend starts with a ride to the the train station in Media, with a buddy of mine I used to work with. It's amazing how quite it is around West Chester at a few minutes after 6 in the morning, it's an hour I don't want to get used to seeing routinely anytime soon, but who knows maybe I should. We get into the city, my intent ultimately to catch the R1 Train to get to the airport to catch my flight to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Now part of the appeal of going as early as I did was of course the free ride to and from the Airport, (Thanks Jeff! I'll get you back!) but the chance to grab a real breakfast at the great Reading Terminal Market. Sure enough, I arrived just as they opened and I saddled up for some blueberry pancakes at the Amish diner they've got there.

Here's the cool part of the whole thing, not long after sitting down, a distinguished looking man, (as distinguished as one gets in a T-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and a black stetson hat with the crossed swords symbol of the Cavalry) his wife and daughter sat down next down me. Now of course immediately, we all know who comes to mind when one sees someone wearing a black stetson, Colonel Kilgore, right? Well, although the character is a long way off from the reality of your typical Battalion Commander of an Air Cav unit, there certainly were no shortage of characters that make up the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association, of which this man was a member, and here in Philadelphia attending the 26th anniversary reunion.

We talked Army aviation, helicopters, and Vietnam, while I filled him in as much as I could on what I know about the Amish, and life here in Philadelphia. All in all it was a great way to kick off my trip, with one of America's heroes. We talked about Chickenhawk, a book by Robert Mason, if you want to really understand the humor and the horror that was the helicopter pilot's experience in Vietnam, you needn't start anywhere else. Even his college age daughter had read it, I'm sure in an effort to know her father better, and she had mentioned that it's now required reading at Fort Rucker, America's training post for all future Army aviators.

My blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs were ice cold by the time we parted company, but it was an honor to meet him. I mean I'm no stranger to Vietnam era Army Aviators, what with me having spent my 20's being chauffeured around by them in the back of an RU-21A, but still I just enjoyed the chance meeting. Welcome home Kevin.

He had mentioned that there was tractor trailer parked out in front of the Marriott I should check out, which I promptly did when I settled my bill.

I don't know what else to say upon beholding this seemingly innocuous trailer, except for....cooooool.....a bar on wheels! A sanctuary where a Helicopter pilot can tell lies to his friends without contradiction, a place where one can toast those who came before and didn't come back.

The logic is pretty simple in justifying having a mobile tractor trailer bar on wheels, hey, beers at the bars at the hotels these days are pushing 5 bucks a bottle, and you can't smoke indoors anymore, so what the heck? The inside walls are covered with memorabilia from the glory days, pieces of helicopters hang from the ceiling, it is the perfect refuge. Sure it reeks of spilled beer and cigarettes, but it sure beats setting up a GP-Large every time happy hour rolls around.

Before long it was back to Suburban Station, to catch the R1 to the airport, and begin a pretty fun weekend, of which I'll share with you soon!

1 comment:

Mikey said...

That is really old school aviation, a trailer bar. I wonder why we never thought of it.