Sunday, June 14, 2009

Another weekend, Another adventure

I have yet to ride my scooter to work, mainly because I've used the excuse of rain and springtime pollen and it's associated allergies to keep driving the car, but that may come to an end soon. I took the C-3 out as far as I've ever taken it before, about 15 miles, from downtown West Chester to the New Garden Airport, just west of Kennett Square. Speaking of Kennett Square, it was nice, a wanna be West Chester, but with more Mexicans. Must be all the Mushroom harvesting houses, I guess they are they absolute opposite of a green houses huh?, and the area smells like, well, how else do you think they raise mushrooms?











What was my inspiration to make it out to New Garden Airport? Yes, another airshow, of course. This one is a small airport, so it's a small airshow, but I've noticed more people at this airshow than at the helicopter airshow we have at Brandywine Airport here in West Chester. I wonder if that might change, as I heard that there might be a wings and wheels airshow in September, which might bring out the people, so vamos a ver.


You know this being an airshow like the last airshow I attended, what stands out in my mind was the non airshow related stuff, like how nice the ride out was. More farmland, more shady lanes, more twisty roads, I took Google's "walking" advice as opposed to driving advice to come up with a map there, so I would end up on these back roads on purpose so I didn't feel like I was backing up any traffic. I passed this really cool set of ruins on the way there, and then when I arrived there, I got to park among the motorcycles and antique cars that were on display there. I felt like a VIP and I got some looks.

The other cool thing was stumbling upon someone's "hanger". I guess he opened it up for the airshow, and with the exception of a beat up glider hanging from the ceiling, this was really one man's collection of antique motorcycles. Nortons, BSA's, Vincents, Triumphs, and old Indians and Harley Davidsons. There's no law that says you have to keep airplanes in an airplane hanger, heck late in Steve McQueen's life he practically lived in his hanger with his airplane and motorcycles.













Now that sounds like the good life to me...

2 comments:

Mike P. said...

If I ever call it quits, look for me living in one of those little clamshell hangers at a po-dunk airport. I'll be cutting the grass at the airport to support my flying habit.

Mikey said...

Why do you get to have an adventure every weekend?