Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What the 4th is about Part 2 of 2

Quick turnaround eh?

Ok, so, I'm on the R1, pulling into Terminal 2 when my phone rang. Now I don't get a whole lot of phone calls these days, unless it's phone spam....(wait, was there a name for when people called us at dinner with unsolicited sales pitches, what was that called when they did it, we all had to sign up on some federal list....TELE-MARKETING! That's it, although why I wrote and had you follow my thought process in trying to remember that, well, that's part of the fun right?) but for some reason I picked it up and what do you know, it was actually US Airways calling to tell me that my flight was delayed. Just a real person courtesy call, and that they had already took steps to book me on the next flight just in case I missed my connection in Charlotte (CLT).
Well, not much I can do about it, and hanging out in PHL is not exactly fun, but I manage to entertain myself with the already obsolete iPhone. Apparently the weather in Boston has delayed my Embraer Emb-190. This will be a first for me, to fly in Brazil's first official "full size" jetliner, and when I finally enter the cabin when it arrives an hour late, impressed is what I am. This is no stretched out ERJ-145, (what's that, right? It's Embraer's first commuter jet, let's just say they've come a long way baby since the EMB-110 Banderante! a 13 passenger twin turbo prop commuter airplane that I used to throw luggage onto back in the late 80's.)

Would I rather be flying in a Boeing 737 or 717? Sure, I'd like to say, "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!" but airlines got to make money somehow, and these foreign government subsidized airliners like Bombardier, Embraer and Airbus make it all but impossible for Boeing to compete except in the higher profit margin aircraft like the 747, 777 and the 787. Although to be honest, I would so like to fly in the Boeing design assisted Sukhoi 100 "Super Jet", a 75-95 seat commuter jet. How often do you get to say you flew in a Russian built aircraft?

Gosh all this writing and I've not even gotten to the point of the second part of my 4th of July blog.

So, I'm flying down to Fayetteville to be with Lana, for the 4th of July and the 5th of July, a soon to be known and widely celebrated holiday known as "Svetlana's Birthday", day. I was packing a Garmin GPS as a gift, knowing that as the good boyfriend I couldn't show up empty handed. Turns out she loves the GPS, it has it's quirks, but to expect it to be 100% accurate in a backwater burg like Pinehurst/Southern Pines would be asking a lot, but it does the job.

No, not the French Riviera, but uh, Norfolk, Virginia? Really?

We had a wonderful time, but we never really nailed down where we were going to celebrate the 4th of July until the last minute. The thought occurred to me, "you know, Joe is only a few hundred miles away, in Norfolk, Virginia, and he's being visited by his girlfriend Sheyla, so why not call and see if he's cool to have some visitors for the fireworks? At first he seemed nonplussed to the idea, taking several minutes between text messages, and an allusion to having a very uncomfortable couch fold away bed, as soon as I mentioned that I could bring some "Fat Tire Ale" to the party, (a Colorado Microbrew that has only now made it east of the Mississippi, and is for all intents and purpose, the best beer I've ever had,) I felt like we had the greenlight to go!


Long story short, (that's another cliche I hate, because it never is either one, you know?) Lana and I make the GPS drive up to Norfolk, meet up with the bro and the French Canadian GF, (it was fun by the way to hear all the accents being spoken) got a tour of Langley AFB and got lucky to watch a flight of five F-22's take off in succession. Of course we got downtown to eat some Cuban "fusion" food, and a pretty high quality 4th of July celebration and fireworks show right on the water on the harbor. The events even attracted some tall ships from the navies of Brasil and Uruguay. Remember the Bicentennial? All those tall ships in New York Harbor? It seems no 4th of July is complete without those magnificent ships as guests to our ports now, right?

Next morning is July 5th, Lana's birthday, and after spending the night at one of the more sketchy Ramada's I've ever stayed at, which was not far from the Hampton Coliseum, (See "Hampton Comes Alive", a very good live PHISH album, by the way) we went back over to Joseph's places for Scrambled Eggs, Fresh Fruit, Crepes and Chocolate Nutella.

Yum.

Like all good times, they must come to an end, and the time to come home came way to quickly. Not that the last day went exactly smoothly, but hey, no matter what, the weekend can definitely be categorized as a huge success, and let's leave it at that.

Now in case you forgot, I promise you I didn't which is to tie it all in as to what the 4th is all about, and it is this, which is how I just loved how a Russian, a Canadian, and two nerdy dudes that could have very easily been born in Cuba if Fidel had only been a better baseball player, ended up celebrating the birth of the United States of America together.

When they say things like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", I don't know how better to demonstrate it than to be with the people you love, eating, drinking, watching things getting blowed up, and doing things that you love to do. Whether that's paying homage to brave Helicopter Pilots, contemplating the future of global aircraft manufacturing, standing by a fence and watching F-22's take off for who knows where, enjoying the services of the 24 GPS satellites in orbit above us, or having crepes with Nutella, I can only hope that everyone had as nice a 4th of July holiday as I did, and that you took a moment to remember what it's all about!

4 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Arod - I just saw your photo in an ad for Penns Table. You're walking in the front door. Have you seen it?

Andrew Rodriguez said...

What ad, you mean on their web page? I saw that, I'm officially a fixture in the community!

Mikey said...

Sounds like a great weekend. You showed some spur of the moment change of plans thinking that in an earlier age, you might have complained about.

Dr Zibbs said...

Arod - there's a printed coupon book and they have and ad in it. You're in the background.

Once I see a copy again I'll get an extra and save it for you. You're way in the background.