Saturday, July 11, 2009

I'm in the middle of a big bike race!

One of my favorite sketches from the seminal Canadian comedy Troupe Kids in the Hall is the one with Bruce McColluch, playing a young boy character named Gavin. I could tell you the gist of the story, but why do that when I can show you


Ok, so now we're on the same page, and you get my humor right? Ok, so here in town, another summer weekend, another something or other going on in town. This Saturday, Iron Hill Twilight Criterion. A bunch of 1% bodyfat people in spandex speeding around on bicycles more expensive than my car as fast as they possibly can around the streets of West Chester.

Sounds fun, right? Short answer, yes, yes it is. Fun to watch anyway, fun to people watch, simply just another example of the extremly high quality of life we routinely experience here in West Chester. (You'd think I was on the payroll of the Business Improvement District, but I'm not.)

It's simple enough, the day starts with them having to clear the streets around 1:00 PM, as demonstrated here.


It boggles the mind that this person didn't know what was going on in town, what with the electronic signs, the text messages from the borough sent straight to your cell phone, and you know, the old fashioned paper signs taped to the lightpoles and meters, but hey, I'm not driving around in a super nice car, so what do I know...

The race breaks things up between the women's races and the men's races with a kid's race, you know the kind of race were everyone's a winner!!! (Shesh, but still kinda cute)
But that wasn't the only game in town. Market Street was closed down for a street chalk art contest, some food, and a band of nice old gentlemen playing...."Classic RAWWWK".

And over on Church street, just north of Gay, during the summer months is a big "troubled teen" hangout in West Chester. The term is mine of course, I'm sure the kids are alright, (Who?)it's just that I'm old and they scare me. Why is it that at least twice now in my life I'm scared of teenagers? Heck come to think of it, at every stage of my life I've been afraid of teenagers, even when I was a teenager. But I digress, these kids, during the middle of the race had there own thing going, having set up an obstacle jumping contest right in the middle of the street. Say what you will about whiny Emo kids, they know how to have a good time.







It took a lot of photos, and I have to tell you it's about speed, and my little Nikon Coolpix camera doesn't quite cut it for capturing all the extreme sports action especially at dusk and at night, so thank goodness for the video feature to get the sense of speed and motion. Note the hair on the one girl, these guys are reallymoving and you could feel it all the way up on the 4th floor balcony of my apartment.





Acording to the people running the event, 20,000 people crowded into West Chester to enjoy the festivities. It seemed like it. It amazes me to because people have so many choices as to how to spend the weekend what with Blobfest in Phoenixville, another bike race in Philly, and the draw of the Jersey shore always present during the summer, it's nice to see so many people chose to hang out with me in my little town.

1 comment:

Lostinspace said...

You did an awesome job covering this. I couldn't get to it, unfortunately, but it looks like a good time was had by all. Well familiar with "teen street."