Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another good weekend, jealous?

Summer 2009 might go down in the history books as one of the most comfortable summers I've ever experienced. Who ever heard of July weather in the 80's? Especially under the shade of the giant trees that are in Everhart Park? (Man I wish I knew trees better, like the names of them, at this point I don't know if they are Oak, Sycamore, Maples, or what. I'm familiar with the song, "The Trees" from Rush, but despite its nerdy reference, it's never helped me understanding one from another) Well, let me just cover the highlights of the weekend.

I drove by on the scooter past a bunch of bikers who had rolled into town to support the troops as is our West Chester protest/counter protestor Saturday Morning and I video taped them as I went by. I'm thinking one of those helmet mounted cams might not be a bad way to go, seeing as how I had visions of losing control and careening into the parked bikes and knocking them over like dominoes. "I say we kill him!", "I say we let him go!" "NO!!!"




Then I did a run out to Downingtown just so I could work my way back into town via Valley Stream Road (think behind the Wegmans). Man that's such a nice little ride.




Then, I studied for my FAA Written Exam at the Starbucks, man if I don't get this ball rolling and finish the pilot's license, I'll never live it down.

It's just a jump, to the left....

THEN, as if Saturday wasn't fulfilling enough, I checked out the Rocky Horror Picture Show in Phoenixville. That was fun, last time I saw RHPS it was at the Dream Theater in Monterey California. Both the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville as well as the Dream Theater, what great old restored venues. Man, West Chester needs a theater. Couldn't we convince the guy who's supposed to build a hotel on the site of West Chester's old Warner theater to rebuild or at least have some of it restored as a boutique venue for cool foreign films with subtitles and crazy animation festivals?

Sunday, was much more relaxed, but again it was as simple as sitting under the shade trees and listening to the music and hanging out with John Young of Guerrilla Drive In fame and watching people drop 5 bucks a pop on air brush tattoos of his own designs.

I mean on the one hand, for all intents and purpose the Turk's Head Music Festival is simply another First Thursday or Super Sunday event in town, you know, funnel cake and tie dye skirts for sale along with spinal cord alignment and Bath Fitters set ups under portable tents, only with you know, more music. On the other hand, it's a great way to just enjoy some great music, from local acts, and it's not like they were doing cover band work either, but a lot of original music, and you've got to respect a band that can be able to great total strangers out there to dance to a song they've never heard of before....




I'm pretty tired though, I didn't take my normal 3 or 4 naps throughout the day, so I'm feeling good and tired now, but hey, I earned it, how many people did as much as I did in the last 48 hours? Oh yea, a lot of people did, man I'm out of shape.... :)

6 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

That is a cute readhead.

And Valley Creek Road is one of my fav car and bike rides.

Mikey said...

Well, I got a nap last weekend, and I did get to both Wal Mart and Winn Dixie. Quite a full weekend. Jealous?

westchesterdead said...

Valley Creek Road is how I commute on bicycle to Downingtown from West Chester. It's a completely sweet ride, and you even get haunted tunnels thrown into the mix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginkyhackle/3154690143/

Weird PA: http://books.google.com/books?id=G5VdDdAd5rMC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=haunted+downingtown+tunnles&source=web&ots=_atcXT0DnU&sig=tuAFALAq1JrDPU78We0IPtmrerk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA31,M1

Sometimes, some jackass even hangs a rope from the break in the tunnels, attempting to garrote anyone traveling on two wheels.

Mike P. said...

Sweet redhead. I wonder where she waits tables. Were you able to help the loser dancing guy meet an untimely fate or did you let him live?

Otownkayaker said...

Sounds like a great weekend....anytime you get to see a cute hoola hooping redhead has got to be great.

Ralph said...

I'm jealous.
There, I said it.