Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My new two wheeled fish carrying conveyence


Ok, before you ask, "Why?" Let me tell you the answer, "Why not?" No, I cannot claim that some sort of ecological altruism was at work when I thought seriously about buying a scooter that gets 117 mpg, (that's not a typo folks, ONE HUNDRED and SEVENTEEN MILES TO THE FREAKING GALLON!) nor was it an issue of being economically squeezed to the point of desperation, since my 1998 Chevy Lumina gets absolutely acceptable gas mileage since a) my commute is all of 10 miles each way (thank you Kerry for dumping me!) and b) I'm a hermit perched over the intersection of Gay and High Street in beautiful downtown West Chester and rarely go anywhere other than work or the airport to fly home. I just figured, where can I "refocus" some of my cash flow? Perhaps towards an actual savings account? So since I refuse to give up a couple of things like air conditioning and digital cable with High Speed Internet, Gasoline had to go!

Now, a few issues of economics are at work since I laid out about 2 Grand for the thing, and since I'm a bit paranoid about somebody just picking up and walking a way with it I got insurance that covers theft for about 400 bucks a year, but if gas prices stay where they are or go higher, (what are the odds of that happening?) the difference of dropping 120 bucks a month on fill ups for the Lumina versus 16 bucks a month, I'll make my money back in less than 2 years! (Take that all you smug Prius drivers!)

So, there you go, I've made the commute back and forth a few times already, along beautiful back roads that only add about 5 more minutes to my normal trip. This is at a balls to the wall eye watering speed of 35 mph. My biggest fear is that I'm holding up a line of fellow commuters along Paoli Pike, and that I'm likely to just be run over by someone who is more preoccupied with trying to drink his or her Latte while adjusting his or her Bluetooth.

What kind of scooter is it exactly that I'm now buzzing around the Dub-C? It's a Yamaha C3 , or in Europe the Yamaha Giggle, or in Japan, the Yamaha VOX. I so wish the US version was the VOX, because under the brand decal for the VOX it has this: ..._/_ _ _/_.._ which of course as an old U.S. Army 05-Hog, I find irresistible. Other than the mpg and the mph, (it pegs out at 40, and it will do it too....downhill.....with a tailwind....) it's a pretty straight forward, 49cc scooter with the volume capacity under the seat for a 12 pack of your favorite beverages. NOTE: arod138, his affiliates, sponsors, and drinking buddies in no way endorse or encourage drinking and driving. Just thought I'd throw that out there. The ride is comfortable, quick, (except up hill) but all in all a pleasure. Why didn't I get a bigger engined Scooter? Anything bigger than 49cc's requires a motorcycle license, and even though I have an endorsement from the state of Delaware after having (barely) successfully completing the Motorcycle Safety Class taken through Mike's Famous Harley Davidson, I haven't gotten around to getting it transferred to my driver's license. I know, I'm a loser...plus I'm really attached to my driver's license photo from 8 years ago, I didn't look like a chipmunk who was having an allergic reaction to bee stings like I look now days.

So, if you see a big guy riding around on an Igloo cooler with wheels around West Chester, wave hello and try not to laugh at such a ridiculous sight. Hey, I'm saving the planet, what did you do today for our beloved Mother Earth? :)

5 comments:

John Young said...

Hey, congratulations! Did you have a good time at Motorcycle Safety School? Did you do the Figure Eight thing?

I'll keep an eye out for your vox around town.

NB: I'm going to host a stencil-ing party in my garage sometime in the next couple of weeks. We'll have X-ray film, self-adhesive vinyl, contact paper, spray paint, and other supplies. Might be the perfect time to put a VOX and some dit-dahs on your fiberglass. Let me know if you'd be into that!

Anonymous said...

Ah so...
I has a fish.
Ha.
Right below the seat and right above the engine, where all will know I has a fish by the smells.
So.

Anonymous said...

we need pics of you on this contraption!

Anonymous said...

HOLD UP!
I showed your VOX video to a sport biker here at work.
That's not a fish.
It's bok choy.
Like the asian cabbage.
What they make korean Kim Chee from.
Bok Choy.
Not a fish.
Bok Choy.


NEVERMIND THE FISH, WHO PUTS BOK CHOY IN THEIR MOTOR SCOOTER?!!
Ralph

EJEAS said...

That seems to be a nice option. I'll bookmark your site for my future reference -- for my frequent biking trips!