Monday, January 19, 2009

There there, West Chester, it's gonna be alright...


First all, Happy New Year!

So I got lucky again! What are the odds that for the second time this season, the one day it snows in town I've got the day off? I got to walk around town, get a few errands done since after all I patronize (you know,the good kind of patronize) all the local businesses in town, and snap a few pictures. A quiet blanket of snow envelopes town on this Monday after the Eagles NFC loss, as if to comfort those who's entire identity is intertwined with the fate of a professional sports team. I imagine the conversation at work will be around what could have been, but life will go on.

After all, tomorrow, at 12:00 PM, it all changes right? In my world, things have been changing for a while, and I've got to be thankful that in some respects, the change has been manageable. Compared to what is happening to my friends and former colleagues at Merrill Lynch, my situation seems pretty well stable, knock on wood.

I guess I'm saying change is incremental and perpetual as opposed to huge paradigm shifts that occur overnight. Sure, there are some things that change things instantly, "I'm pregnant", "We're going to let you go", "Grandma's dead", but the best kind of change is the kind we initiate ourselves. When we're ready for change, we change. Nobody can push you into change, but we can be inspired to change. The onus is still on us to change, but there are some certainly inspiring people out there that can show the way. Be it Martin Luther King Jr, Mahatma Gandhi, Barrack Obama, John McCain, Lance Armstrong or Neil Armstrong, we all need to find something that inspires us to change. You may even want to look in the mirror for inspiration to change, there's no better role model than ourselves...don't you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts have been sorely missed, but I confess I didn't expect an homage to "change." Did you fall asleep in front of Chris Matthew's show again?

Andrew Rodriguez said...

My point was that change is an internal thing, no savior can come along and bring it about, we can only change ourselves when we're ready...maybe because I'm going through "the change" myself, (male menopause) I'm feeling all "changy"

Dr Zibbs said...

Great pics Andrew.

Dr Zibbs said...

And I agree with Mikey - you should post more often.

Anonymous said...

Good read today.
Welcome back.
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Since you got lucky, doesn't that mean Joe got lucky too? Or am I thinking of the wrong kind of "lucky"?

Nice Neil Armstrong tie in. That's what we used to call the beach ball theory.