Sunday, October 5, 2008

WC Chili Cook Off vs Philly Sports teams


Maybe I got there late, but it seemed like a light turn out for West Chester's 6th Annual Chili Cook off. Don't get me wrong, the air was filled with spices and aromas, plenty of people about, and my salivary glands were working overtime as I walked down the street, but I began to think about it and wondered if West Chester was suffering from some kind of Street Festival Burnout Syndrome? (Hereby to be known from now on as SFBS, terminology copyright 2008 Arod138 Heavy Industries, all rights reserved)

In the last month we've had a Swinging Thursday street festival and the West Chester Restaurant Festival, so did the Chili Cook off suffer because we've kind of been overdoing the whole festival thing lately, or what? You can only do a few of these things before people start to take them for granted, right?

Then I thought about what might have been a factor, which was while all this ground beef, beans, onions, tomatoes were simmering along, there was an Eagles-Redskins game going on, and the 4th game of the National League Championship Series being played, the Phillies vs the Brewers.

Having moved here to S.E. Pennsylvania from parts unnamed with a, let's just say, a less ingrained sports culture, it didn't take me long to figure out that people here like their local sports teams. That, and the fact that people here, especially in West Chester, and especially after the bars close at 2 in the morning, that people here have absolutely no problem spelling the word "Eagles"....at the top of their lungs, while drunk...jerks....

Again, I'm absolutely supportive of any event the town throws that allows me the gluttonous opportunity to stand in line eating a funnel cake while waiting in line to order a hot dog, but come on what is the answer to this dilemma?

Because in the fall, between High School Football on Friday nights, Penn State Football on Saturday afternoons, (I actually had someone at work tell me that they could never work Saturdays like I have to sometimes because of College Football, and from the looks of the kid, it's not like he was a key player or anything, but I digest, er, digress) NFL football on Sunday afternoons, who the heck is going to show up to these things? Do we need to cram more of these festivals in during the summer?

At least it didn't rain today, it was a really nice day to intake far more calories in a few hours than I will have burned....in a week. Oh, and Phillies won, Eagles lost.

2 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I think you got it right. Eagles and Phillies kept many away. Good time though.

Anonymous said...

Now I want funnel cake